Reworked Barn, Canal and Asylum

Sun 28 Jun 2015, 02:17 by bencelot



Just letting you know what I'm up to. I'm taking the amazing new lighting engine and the sexy new models and updating all of the official maps. It's taking me ages because I'm adding so much detail to the maps, but it's great fun! I just added a hobo bin to Asylum!

Image

And here's how many models I've used! If I'm going to have spent 2+ months coding models and advanced lighting into the game, I'm going to damn well make use of it!!

Image


9 Comments


chross says:

Mon 29 Jun 2015, 09:50


Looks great.


Speculation says:

Tue 30 Jun 2015, 02:42


wow. amazing


Encrypted says:

Wed 01 Jul 2015, 16:15


I like this!


bencelot says:

Thu 02 Jul 2015, 02:39


Took a few days off from map making to do optimisations. The maps with all the new lighting and models were taking quite a long time to load, but I think I've sped it up quite a bit now. This is partly through code optimisations, but also by making a few changes to some of my maps. Outside maps like Downtown and Barn have got big directional lights which have to illuminate every single tile in the map. This takes forever. So on these maps I've had to rework the lighting a bit, removing ambience on a few lights, shrinking the radiuses and removing phase 2 lighting. For those making community maps, just keep lighting as you do, but be aware that I might need to optimise the map a bit to speed it up. So far I've managed to double the loading speed bringing Asylum from 32s down to 14s on my laptop. That's with max graphics, and I'm on a laptop. Players can always opt for lower quality lighting to bring that down further, but I think 14s acceptable for now.


Nightfall says:

Thu 02 Jul 2015, 02:55


bencelot wrote:
Took a few days off from map making to do optimisations. The maps with all the new lighting and models were taking quite a long time to load, but I think I've sped it up quite a bit now. This is partly through code optimisations, but also by making a few changes to some of my maps. Outside maps like Downtown and Barn have got big directional lights which have to illuminate every single tile in the map. This takes forever. So on these maps I've had to rework the lighting a bit, removing ambience on a few lights, shrinking the radiuses and removing phase 2 lighting. For those making community maps, just keep lighting as you do, but be aware that I might need to optimise the map a bit to speed it up. So far I've managed to double the loading speed bringing Asylum from 32s down to 14s on my laptop. That's with max graphics, and I'm on a laptop. Players can always opt for lower quality lighting to bring that down further, but I think 14s acceptable for now.

Put something in the download or just have Subvein analyze how long it'd take to load a map given a computer's settings. And first time you load up game, unless you've manually changed settings before then, it'll optimize to the user's comp. No one wants to wait more than 15 seconds or so to get into a game their first time. Later give them the option. Just a thought. I don't care about graphics too much. ;p I prefer load times to sexy lighting tbh.


bencelot says:

Thu 02 Jul 2015, 03:14


Nightfall wrote:
bencelot wrote:
I don't care about graphics too much. ;p I prefer load times to sexy lighting tbh.


Right there with you, I don't care about graphics either. I've always been about the gameplay. But for the vast majority of players graphics are what sell the game. And first impressions count. Funny thing is, even though I don't care about graphics they still have a huge impact on my first impression of a game. If I see a new game with beautiful graphics I know it's at least well developed, with probably polished gameplay. The gameplay could be really boring or unoriginal, but at least the devs must've had enough time/budget to polish it up a bit. Anyway that's why I've spent so long focussing of gfx for MF. I wiiiiiish I could be working on chemicals right now but no.. must be disciplined.


Nightfall says:

Thu 02 Jul 2015, 22:35


bencelot wrote:
Nightfall wrote:
bencelot wrote:
I don't care about graphics too much. ;p I prefer load times to sexy lighting tbh.


Right there with you, I don't care about graphics either. I've always been about the gameplay. But for the vast majority of players graphics are what sell the game. And first impressions count. Funny thing is, even though I don't care about graphics they still have a huge impact on my first impression of a game. If I see a new game with beautiful graphics I know it's at least well developed, with probably polished gameplay. The gameplay could be really boring or unoriginal, but at least the devs must've had enough time/budget to polish it up a bit. Anyway that's why I've spent so long focussing of gfx for MF. I wiiiiiish I could be working on chemicals right now but no.. must be disciplined.

Definitely, just like make sure someone isn't waiting forever to load if they have an old comp. Lots of people come from countries with bad net or old comps so make sure peeps aren't waiting for fifteen minutes to get into the game. Especially in ranked, load times can not exceed like a minute.


bencelot says:

Thu 02 Jul 2015, 23:03


Yup your words are wise and true. I've made even more optimisations now and got things speeding up quite a bit. I'm also going to be putting an arbitrary cap on the loading time for all the official maps, and ensuring they meet it. So I've had to remove dynamic map lighting from Barn and Downtown to get them fast enough. I'm a little concerned about Core tbh, but I think I can optimise it.

A quick hint for map makers. One of the optimisations I've made is if a light has ZERO ambience, it will load faster. But it needs to be zero. 0.01% ambience will take just as long as 50% ambience. It's only if it has no ambience at all that I can afford to skip the tiles entirely. Making the map look good comes first, but if you can get away with reducing the ambience on some of your tiles to 0 then that's good. This is usually better for indoor lights, like a light lighting up a long corridor, as the light naturally wouldn't pass through walls anyway. In outdoors or big open areas however the light is more likely to "bounce around" which is how ambience works in real life. Anyway don't worry about it too much cause I'll touch things up anyway.


GelatinOverlord says:

Fri 03 Jul 2015, 03:33


bencelot wrote:
Yup your words are wise and true. I've made even more optimisations now and got things speeding up quite a bit. I'm also going to be putting an arbitrary cap on the loading time for all the official maps, and ensuring they meet it. So I've had to remove dynamic map lighting from Barn and Downtown to get them fast enough. I'm a little concerned about Core tbh, but I think I can optimise it.

A quick hint for map makers. One of the optimisations I've made is if a light has ZERO ambience, it will load faster. But it needs to be zero. 0.01% ambience will take just as long as 50% ambience. It's only if it has no ambience at all that I can afford to skip the tiles entirely. Making the map look good comes first, but if you can get away with reducing the ambience on some of your tiles to 0 then that's good. This is usually better for indoor lights, like a light lighting up a long corridor, as the light naturally wouldn't pass through walls anyway. In outdoors or big open areas however the light is more likely to "bounce around" which is how ambience works in real life. Anyway don't worry about it too much cause I'll touch things up anyway.

Well, that's good to know, I'll make sure to reduce the lighting.. I've already tried my best to get rid of all unnecessary lights in Core anyways, I hope it's enough, but it's still a lot (60 lights), so...

Blog Posts For Geneshift


Geneshift has launched on Steam Early Access!

(3)


Geneshift v1.00 Released!

(0)


Play the Multiplayer Demo on Steam Today!

(1)


Geneshift hits Steam on May 23rd, 2017

(0)


Official Discord Chatroom

(0)


Geneshift v0.997 Released!

(0)


Geneshift Launch Trailer is Live!

(7)


Server Downtime

(0)


Geneshift v0.996 Released!

(1)


Steam Store Page is now Coming Soon!

(0)


Steam Integration & Achievements

(12)


Geneshift v0.995 Released!

(1)


Geneshift - new game name!!

(4)


3D Vehicle Models!

(36)


3D Player Models!

(34)


Time for Graphics!

(10)


Skill Casting Guards!

(6)


Campaign Stage 6: Inferno

(6)


Updating the particle system

(2)


Stealth speeds by Outbreak in Speedruns!

(1)


Version 0.994 released! Introducing Stealth mode!

(0)


Graphics fun

(2)


Trigger music with bombs and text zones

(1)


Making Music!

(22)


Version 0.994 test build is available!

(22)


Started work on the third campaign stage: Driving Downtown

(4)


Just fixed an 8 year old bug with MASSIVE performance gains!

(2)


Guard Waypoints!

(59)


Version 0.992: Speedrun Leaderboards and new skill scaling!

(0)


Leaderboards are done!

(2)


New Version, new trailer, new year!!

(17)


Finished the new trailer!

(3)


Hooray! My laptop can take video!

(0)


Version 0.99 Released!! Amazing graphics and new chemicals!

(6)


Rewording all the skills

(8)


Working on team chemical vision!

(15)


FINALLY finished map making! Thank god.

(3)


Free skill resets on mutants under level 30!

(11)


Reworked Barn, Canal and Asylum

(9)


Reworked Downtown

(0)


Added the Newbie Checklist!

(7)


3D Models!! Mutant Factions has finally gone 3D baby!

(19)


Just rented an apartment in Peru!

(0)


Update on plans and Menu Music!

(9)


Massively expanded the in-game tutorial guide

(0)


Textured, Animated, Layered and 3D Fog!!

(5)


Specular Highlights!!

(6)


Added Ambient Occlusion!

(5)


Sexy Soft Shadows!1

(11)


Version 0.98: Some nice balance changes

(1)


A little bit of graphical goodness!

(0)


Brasil trip is over, back to coding!

(2)


Version 0.97: Chemical Warfare polish and skill queues!

(0)


Introducing Chemical Warfare!! Version 0.96 is here!

(0)


Chemical Warfare is finished!

(1)


Chemical Warfare: Graphics finished, coming out soon!!

(0)


Chemical Warfare: super sexy chemical graphics

(5)


Chemical Warfare: Today I finished coding all gameplay!!

(1)


Chemical Warfare: buy menu icons and descriptions

(2)


Chemical Warfare: carrying a chemical graphics

(0)


Chemical Warfare: buying chemicals

(0)


Chemical Warfare: compound graphics!

(5)


Chemical Warfare: HUD, networking and compounds

(0)


Chemical Warfare: point scoring and compound discovery

(6)


Chemical Warfare: menu, networking and compound locations

(0)


What's this blog business??

(0)


Version 0.95! New cash system!

(3)


Version 0.94!! FLAMETHROWERS!!!

(16)


Version 0.936 is out! Superweapons galore!

(7)


Please tell your friends and vote on Steam Greenlight!

(2)


Wooot Woot! Version 0.935 is here! No longer in alpha!

(10)


Check out the new main page!

(8)


Version 0.93!! Brand new ranked servers and CC system!

(3)


Rescaling of Respect Ranks

(2)


Version 0.92 is out! Sexy new maps and Outbreak changes!

(3)


4 new custom-maps servers

(3)


I'm going to be working on Mutant Factions full time again!

(10)


Mutant Factions v0.91 is out! Introducing Respect Rankings!

(4)


Outbreak has been released! Introducing Mutant Factions v0.9

(4)


Subvein has changed names to Mutant Factions!

(7)


12 Official New Servers!

(7)


Mutant Factions Madness: Official Play Sessions!

(12)


Subvein version 0.74 has been released!

(2)


Like Subvein on Facebook!

(8)


Subvein version 0.73 released!!

(13)


Let's Play Together!

(1)


Explosions now dynamically light up the map!

(5)


Subvein is on Steam Greenlight!

(54)


An amazing optimisation!

(12)


Version 0.71 has been released!

(1)


Version 0.7 is out! Translations, Unicode, and New Skills!

(5)


Today I'm going to add translations (переводы)

(34)


Version 0.698 is out! Vehicle netcode and skill changes

(2)


Version 0.697 is out! Restructured weapons, skills, missions

(6)


Version 0.696 released! Improved netcode, AI and skills!

(30)


Playing with pathfinding

(30)


Playing with netcode

(8)


Version 0.695 is here :D

(21)


Subvein v0.694 is rockin' OUT!

(6)


Subvein v0.693 is LIVE!!

(15)


Latest developments: In-game quick levelling!

(41)


Version 0.692 is out!

(9)


New version is out! Introducing v0.691

(7)


Yehaaa!! Version 0.69 is out!

(4)


Woo hoo! We now have new hosting :D

(10)


Woohoo!! Over 5000 members!

(4)


Subvein is back up and running!!

(8)


2000 members. Let's make it 20000!!

(36)


Subvein version 0.6 has been released!

(13)


New promo video!!!

(12)


Added a new Community page!

(6)


Just added camera shake :)

(3)


Updated the news page!

(3)


Start earning community credits today!

(16)


A war is coming..

(6)


Account system coming to Subvein v0.6!!

(29)


First ever demo of Subvein vehicles is up!

(5)


Version 0.551 Released :)

(4)


Subvein version 0.55 Released!

(8)


Version 0.541 is out. Thank god!

(5)


Version 0.54 is different. Experience it now!

(9)


Version 0.54 comes out in 24 hours!!

(9)


Subvein v0.53 is OUT!!

(3)


Subvein v0.53 will go up within 24 hours!!!!

(9)


Added a new SHARE button!

(2)


Added a new FAQ section to site!

(5)


Subvein version 0.52 is HERE!!!

(13)


Subvein v0.52 will be released in 7 hours!!

(13)


Development towards version 0.52:

(70)


Version 0.51 is OUT!

(6)


Welcome to Geneshift!

(167)